Sunday, April 10, 2011

Stuck in New Mexico

We were riding through New Mexico Yesterday. We were supposed to make it to Flagstaff Arizona. The weather had a different idea for us. We were only able to make it 100 miles due to the extreme wind. We were in 30 mph winds with gusts up to 60 mph. Tumbleweeds and dust were my companions on the road and the wind almost pushed me off the road more than a few times. It was by far the most dangerous riding day yet. We were forced to take refuge at a local elementary school through the worst of it. By the time we made it to a truck stop called Gallup it was snowing and we pulled in for the night. This is a picture of my bike the next morning. I thought about covering my motorcycle, but when I pulled out the cover it made a parachute and I realized it would turn my bike into a giant sail and probably break my kick stand off.

Even though there is nothing to do in Gallup NM, it is actually a nice area to view. This picture does not do the landscape justice. When the sun came up the clouds were pink, purple, and orange. The mesas, speckled with snow, glittered as the sunlight hit them.

We are going to ride to Flagstaff today (hopefully). The weather is supposed to be nice all day but flagstaff may not get warm enough to melt the ice by the time we get there so our fall back plan is Winslow. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the weather kept you from really enjoying the ride. Still, I’m glad you were able to keep up with your motorcycle despite of the strong winds. That’s some pretty impressive power that bike has. Anyway, how was your ride the next day? I hope the weather was more agreeable.

    *Hannah Parkin

    ReplyDelete